Your immune system is vital in fighting off viruses, bacteria and other infections. It is your body’s first line of defense when it detects foreign or unfamiliar cells.
There are many ways to keep your immune system strong: don’t smoke, drink in moderation, keep your weight in check and plenty of rest.
However, there are also plenty of foods you can add into your diet that can help you with an immune system boost right now:
- Blueberries are high in antioxidants and contain a flavonoid that has been shown to help keep colds at bay but importantly can also help with respiratory tract health.
- Garlic is popular with most cuisines around the world. It is a very well-known home remedy to prevent colds. Supplements containing Allicin are very popular with natural medicine practitioners to help the body fight infections or bacteria.
- Turmeric is a powerful spice that can easily be incorporated into curries or stews but is also amazing on its own as a tea. It’s high anti-inflammatory properties have seen practitioners prescribing turmeric for conditions like arthritis or osteoporosis for many years.
- Citrus fruits are very popular in the fight against colds. These fruits are high in Vitamin C and help produce white blood cells which are important in fighting off infections. Almost all citrus fruits will deliver you a hit of vitamin C so choose from oranges, grapefruit or lemons.
- Broccoli may be a battle to get your kids to eat but is packed with Vitamins and Minerals. Broccoli is immune boosting because it delivers Vitamin A, C and E as well as fiber in one hit.
Keeping your diet focused on fresh fruit and vegetables and minimizing processed foods is the easiest way to keep your health on the right track. There is new research looking at the importance of Vitamin D in reducing the risks associated with respiratory illnesses so remember to try and get 15 minutes of sunlight every day.